You may need to tow a car at any time, regardless of what car you drive: a mechanic or an automatic. However, in reality, there is some difference in the rules for towing these two large subspecies of cars that cannot be ignored.
What kind of towing methods are used today?
The car in idle state move can tow car automatic transmission. In other words, another car, which, using one of the coupling methods, will pull the broken vehicle to the right place.
- Flexible coupling. Or, more simply, a cable. Usually it is in the car of every car owner and often not only can tow automatic car, but also pull the car out of the ditch, snow drifts, mud swamp
- Rigid hitch. For this, special equipment is used, which not only drags the broken car, but also keeps it at a safe distance from the towing vehicle.
- Tackle. A special triangular frame structure that raises the front of the car and drags it, taking the towed auto out of the road users – a broken car should no longer be driven by the driver
- Full submersion towing. The auto is completely immersed on a special plateau with fastenings and transported like a load
Are all of the above towing methods relevant in the case of an automatic transmission? Let’s figure it out!
Automatic towing – features and tricks
According to the operational conditions of the technical passport of autos with automatic transmission, it is worth adhering to the following restrictions when towing:
- speed is not more than 40 km/h;
- minimum path length – up to 30 km;
- the gear selector must be in neutral before towing;
- the driver must have access to start the engine;
- the wheel drive is disconnected from the box.
In addition, you should be very strict about any maneuvers on the track – sharp turns or braking are prohibited. At the same time, the use of a flexible hitch is not recommended, because in such conditions it is very difficult to avoid dangerous moments and sudden jerks during stops. A rigid hitch can be used, but with a strictly limited speed and mileage limit. Ideally, your task is to deliver the auto to the nearest service station and stop towing it.
Important! Avoid prolonged slip. Otherwise, it can cost serious losses for auto repairs.
What if towing is necessary for a car with automatic transmission over long distances?
When your task is to send the car at a distance of more than 30 km/h, then it is more relevant to use the services of a tow truck. With full immersion, the auto is not in any danger, and it will travel hundreds of kilometers without any problems.
The tow truck provides all the necessary fasteners that will help to transport safely a car with automatic transmission, regardless of breakdown. At the wheel there is always a professional employee who is well familiar not only with the rules of driving special vehicles, but with the peculiarities of transportation of fragile and bulky goods.