How to choose car luggage container?
Car roof rack is very helpful when moving or traveling. Choosing the right roof rack is a guarantee of its durability and a guarantee that all the necessary things will fit.
When choosing a model, be sure to pay attention to what type of attachment is used in it. A visual inspection is sufficient for this.
There are main types of fixation:
- Fastening for gutters. These elements are located along the roof of the car, so the trunk can be installed in a convenient place.
- Standard mount. Many cars in the production process are equipped with special places for attaching the trunk. They are closed with special plastic plugs. In addition, these places are additionally reinforced and can withstand heavy loads.
- Fixing for roof rails. The rails are two longitudinal rails that are fixed on the car body in several places.
- Integrated ratings. This type of fixation is a structure that runs along the roof, in which there is no gap between the roof and the fixture. The choice of a suitcase carrier for cars in this version should be carried out individually, because the integrated roof rails have a certain geometry. Auto luggage rack carriers must repeat it completely.
- T-shaped profile. Often, this type of attachment is found on minibuses, SUVs and station wagons. If none of the specified mounting types are suitable for your vehicle, then some non-standard options designed for cars with a smooth roof are worth considering.
- Fixation on the doorway. The profiled mountings on the side help secure the roof rack. It is on them that the luggage compartment clamps are subsequently installed.
- Fastening through the interior. The lashing straps are pulled through the passenger compartment and thus secure the inflatable roof rack. This option is extremely rare.
- Magnetic clips. Magnetic trunks are also non-standard mounts. The advantage – the trunk can be located in any sector of the car roof. The disadvantage is that the mounts can only support small items of light weight. After choosing the type of attachment, you need to focus on the type of rack. The most popular are basket racks and cross-type arches.
The main criteria for choosing roof racks:
- The maximum weight that a certain trunk can withstand (it is also worth considering the load that the roof of the car itself can withstand);
- Materials from which the trunk is made (the most practical are models made of stainless steel, impact-resistant plastic and aluminum);
- Additional protection of cargo (special locking system, locks, strong additional belts);
- In addition, before buying, you should find out about the reputation of the manufacturer and its products.