Understated cars are no longer news today. Owners of many cars like this tuning, but the modification is shrouded in many nuances that are worth knowing, those who want to dare to do it how much would it cost lower my car.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Lowered Clearance
The pluses include the following:
- a decrease in the overturning moment due to a decrease in the height of the center of gravity – such a “trick” will make the car more manageable at high speeds;
- improved aerodynamics – less resistance to air currents, reduced fuel consumption, possibly an increase in maximum speed limits;
- the car is more responsive when cornering;
- the visual appeal of the car.
It is worth considering that the above advantages arise only with a technically correct change in the design of the stock suspension of a standard vehicle.
There are also disadvantages of such alterations:
- increased suspension stiffness reduces ride comfort;
- cash costs when using high-quality and original elements;
- forced driving only on flat roads, inability to overcome rough terrain;
- tire wear is faster.
Another point is to use such modifications on machines that are not under warranty, otherwise it will be lost.
How much does it cost lower car?
Today there are four main types of car understatement.
- Changing the springs. The standard springs are removed and the shortened ones are installed or the same ones that were removed, but pre-cut with the help of tools. This method is considered the most common. However, simple shortening often leads to rapid breakage of the springs, which are subject to increased loads, therefore, sometimes thermal bending of the coil is used. It is best to install new original short springs – this option will be a little more expensive, but more reliable
- Shortened sporty suspension. From the technical point of view, this option is more correct – the standard suspension is removed and a special sports suspension is installed, where short springs and struts are already provided, which work perfectly with them in a pair
- Coilovers. Helical suspension, which allows you to adjust the spring rate and clearance height using a special nut. Reduction is possible from 20 to 100 mm. This is a universal design that allows you to drive in the city with a low ground clearance, and when leaving the city, return it to its standard positions
- Air suspension. This is the most convenient and correct in principle of operation, an adjustable option for lowering the car. A simple touch of a key on the panel will automatically adjust the level of proximity of the car to the road. The adjustment is quick and comfortable. Its only drawback is the high price relative to other methods of understating. In addition, the air suspension requires constant maintenance at the recommended frequency.
How much does it cost to understate a car?
It all depends on the method of lowering, the model of the car and the parts used when the clearance is reduced. The cheapest way is to cut the spring or install a new short one, but this tactic will lead to frequent problems in this part of the car. Installation of air suspension is more expensive, but the most reliable “pleasure” – from 2 to 2.5 thousand US dollars.