A pickup truck is a very common vehicle in the United States and many European countries. What is hidden behind this body type and why is it so appreciated by car owners? We have also selected the most popular truck quotes sayings in this article.
What is a pickup truck?
It is customary to call a pickup a commercial variation of a two-seater (most often) vehicle with an open cargo compartment, which has low sides and a rear door. Cars are equipped with rear-wheel drive or all-wheel drive, less often they are front-wheel drive. Vehicle weight can reach 5-6 tons.
The name of this car literally translates as “lift” or “open” (sometimes – “drive up”). Interestingly, New Zealanders call this car “Yut”.
The first progenitor of a pickup truck appeared at the dawn of the automotive industry – in 1904, but the real types of such bodies entered the series only 11 years later. Such a car initially attracted small entrepreneurs and farmers who carried their goods. Today, a pickup truck for Americans and many Europeans is an ordinary passenger car that people far from commerce use with pleasure.
Varieties of pickups
Each pickup has its own characteristics and this should be taken into account. They are usually divided into:
- cars made of cars – in fact, ordinary small cars that have lost their rear;
- compact – on the basis of a frame chassis, they can be 2 or 5 seater;
- medium-sized – identical to compact ones, but differ in size and weight;
- full-size – weight reaches 6 tons, has 5-6 seats, sometimes 4 (can be lightweight or heavy).
Advantages and disadvantages of the “pickup” body type
Of course, the first is to highlight the advantages:
- high carrying capacity – can take on board up to 2.5 tons of any cargo from small boxes to oversized furniture;
- good cross-country ability – this allows the pickup to be used as a car for tourism;
- ease of operation – cars do without special care for a long time, their repair is cheaper (compared to jeeps);
- duration of operation – with basic maintenance, such a machine will last more than a dozen years;
- affordable price – given the advantages inherent in a full-fledged jeep, pickups are considered cheaper cars, while against the background of budget models there are also multifunctional elite modifications, which amaze with the breadth of their scope;
- tuning possibilities – transform a pickup, making it unusual for others easier than an SUV;
- spaciousness – there are large pickups, where the whole family can fit freely, which will also take a lot of things with it.
Are there any downsides to pick up truck quotes? Well, where without them, but against the background of a large number of advantages, they still fade:
- “Gluttony” – the pickup loves to “eat” very much, regardless of the fact that there is gasoline or diesel fuel in your tank, the minimum figures are 9.8 l/13 l (highway/city);
- holes in the undercarriage – there is such a “disease” in many pickup trucks, which leads to twitching in the run or skidding when cornering;
- spaciousness – when we talk about two-seater small pick-ups, more often made of serial cars, then, of course, there is no need to wait for comfort.