RO-RO transportation is becoming more popular day by day. This type of transportation can be considered quite reliable, and most importantly affordable at roll roll off car shipping costs. It is the preferred choice of many corporate clients and civilians who prefer security for their expensive cargo.
What it is?
The nature of this strange name is simple. It comes from the word combinations roll-on and roll-off, which in turn literally translates how to roll in and roll out. From here it becomes clear that this type of transportation is used for the transportation of rolling cargo. The latter are considered to be those that can enter and exit the cargo compartment on their own or with the help of wheeled vehicles.
And yes, the most important thing is that roll roll off shipping rates are not for land, but for water, in particular, sea routes. It is noteworthy that any wheeled vehicles can be transported in this way: cars, trucks, specialized wheeled equipment, trailers, trailers, tractors, or even whole wagons. In a word, it can be heavy and large objects of equipment of any field of activity: chemical, energy, industrial, etc.
There are also limitations. This type of transportation cannot transport specific types of cargo:
- temperature – depending on the climatic difference;
- bulk – they require special barrels, tanks, etc.
Transportation may differ slightly in the transportation scheme:
The first implies by itself when the load must be rolled onto the watercraft and rolled out with the same or the same hoist at the destination. The second is simpler in execution – the cargo is rolled onto the ship in a vehicle and transported on it to its destination, where it is rolled out by it.
A fixed scheme is the most frequent project for private carriers, which does not involve third parties in transportation, doing everything independently.
What are the advantages of such transportation?
Surprisingly, RO-RO transportation shows an increase in user interest, even in the most crisis times. There are a number of reasons for this:
- there is no need to use fasteners for cargo in a container, therefore, the contractor bears lower costs for their installation and constant adjustment for different types of cargo, offering affordable services;
- no loading and unloading operations on cranes and with the use of human force – the goods themselves enter and leave the ferry along inclined ramps;
- vehicles of various sizes, tonnage, categories, as well as oversized cargo can be transported, which cannot be delivered in a container;
- the ferry has a huge capacity – sometimes it is 5-6 functional floors;
- transportation is absolutely environmentally friendly and easy to organize – there is no need to transport tractors with a load, because most large ports lease them to users;
- the price for transportation does not depend on the weight of the cargo, but on the “stripes in meters” or on the dimensions – width, height and length.
It is RO-RO transportation that today helps to transport new cars and often used ones, which is expected by individuals in different states.