How tow dolly use
There are many options for towing a vehicle. One of which is towing with a trolley. The implementation of such movement is a two-wheeled trailer, which tows the car on its drive wheels. While this type of trailer is easy to use and cost-effective to buy or rent, it also has its drawbacks, which we will discuss. However, first we will emphasize the mode of operation and general characteristics of tow dolly how use.
Everything you need to know
Moving with a transport trolley is a method that is safe for your auto. This type of towing occurs if the auto is damaged by a load on the wheel or suspension components. When using tow trucks, the front of the auto should always be raised, not the rear.
- Do not tow the car backwards, leaving the front wheels on the ground, as this may damage the car;
- Do not tow the vehicle with a flexible clutch. Use specialized equipment for lifting wheels.
Procedure for emergency towing by a wheelchair:
- Move the ignition key to the “ACC” position (“Auxiliary”);
- Transmission. Set the gear to “N” (“Neutral”);
- Remove the auto from the parking brake.
Disadvantages of transportation by tow truck
- Weight restrictions. Tow trucks are not designed to carry as much weight as, for example, other car trailers. This restriction will not allow many sports trucks, trucks and old steel frames to be towed by a wheelchair.
- Maneuverability. The cart is made of dense material of various metal alloys. Therefore, it is not flexible, due to which it is quite difficult to control and maneuver. Due to the design of the auxiliary vehicle, the car can skid, so towing has an experienced driver with certain skills and the appropriate category of rights.
- Attaching a car to a tow truck is more difficult than attaching a car to a trailer. Due to the fact that when using a tow truck there are two wheels on the road, the drive mechanisms must be particularly reliable to keep the car on the platform. There is a significant difference between towing a trailer – car wheels cannot be locked and an emergency brake lever cannot be used to hold the auto in place. To tow a vehicle with a rear-wheel drive transmission, it may be necessary to remove the drive shafts, which must be placed in front of the tow truck due to gap problems.
- Wear. Because, when using transportation, in this way, two wheels remain on the ground, so the load is distributed to another pair of wheels, because of this, the tires on them can be rubbed. The longer you use the tow truck, the higher the wear rate.