Best suv for mountains
Off-road cars and steep mountain slopes offer tremendous opportunities for the car enthusiast, who knows a lot about outdoor activities, soaked through with adrenaline. However, when the task is to buy a car for such purposes, you cannot immediately figure out which one will be better. We propose to determine the most optimal model of an off-road vehicle, with which even to the mountains, even to the track.
Crossover VS. SUV
Today, there is a huge selection of beautiful and outwardly very powerful crossovers, which can confuse the not-too-experienced motorist looking for a car for mountainous terrain. To understand whether an SUV can be considered for these purposes, we will find out how it differs from a jeep.
A crossover is an ordinary car with a higher “height” and “bloated” dimensions. He has increased ground clearance and has four-wheel drive, but all this will save only in case of unsuccessful parking in a small snowdrift or on a low-grade dirt road in the city. In harsh conditions, the SUV will not help, therefore, for the mountains, we consider only a full-fledged SUV, which is not afraid of the difficult reliefs of mountain soils.
Best suv for mountain driving: Range Rover Sport – what is needed for the mountains
This car is a real beast with a 510-horsepower V8 engine, four-wheel drive that has six settings at once (adapting to the type of terrain), a frame frame and reinforced tires.
With this car, we managed to climb one of the most extreme slopes of Pike Peak, under the control of Ben Collins, a racer and stuntman. The slope in this area reaches 75 degrees. The car overcame the obstacle at a speed of 155 km, while the speed did not drop much, even on too slippery areas (up to 120 km). In both directions, the car went in 21.5 minutes. For Range Rover, this is not the first test in such conditions, which he handled flawlessly. Therefore, it can be safely called the best machine for mountain peaks.
What characteristics should an off-road jeep have?
Even if you are not “ripe” for the best SUV for the mountains, then at least take a note of what requirements it must meet:
- four-wheel drive or 4×4 – front-wheel drive will leave you in the first blurred section of the road;
- frame – this detail will be able to contribute to increasing the cross-country ability of the car;
- oversized trunk – mountain vacation implies many important details that you need to take with you, both for a person and a car;
- the color should be chosen in neutral shades so that dirt and small scratches from the mountain soil are not so noticeable;
- a diesel engine is better – the absence of an electronic ignition system will increase the chances of passing water obstacles, of which there are many in the mountains;
- mechanics – it is easier to get out of any trap with it.
Today you can find many good SUVs that will help you stay completely calm in any mountains on the market.